The synagogue in the Free City of Gdansk (Danzig),
built in 1881 and destroyed by the Germans in
1940. In 1939 the Jewish comunity in
dgansk, realizing that war was imminent, sent the treasured
objects from the Gdansk Synagogue to the Jewsih Theological
Seminary in New York for safekeeping. Today these
objects are at the Jewish Museum in New York.