Smolesky Publishers in Kyiv)
MONASTERY, 16th - 18th cent. Built on the Hnylopyat river on the site
of a sixteenth century castle. In 1627 the monastery of the "Barefoot
Carmelites" was founded. In 1648 the armies of B. Khmelnytsky captured
this monastery-castle, which was closed in 1792. A historical museum has
been located on the premises of the monastery since 1925. In 1941 it was
burned to the ground and executions of civilians took place on its site.
Restoration work on the monastery commenced in 1958.
other images of the Carmelite Monastery
(ST. BARBARA) ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH) 1826. Major repairs were undertaken in
The French writer, Honoré de Balzac, married Evelina Hanska in this
(BLESSED VIRGIN MARY) ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, 1634, 1739-54. Built in the Baroque
style. The interior paintings were executed by the Italian artist, V. Frederice.
During World War II the church burned down and was later restored.
[HOME] [BACK TO OTHER REFERENCES]